Forum home Problem solving

Rose not flowering

Novice23Novice23 East SussexPosts: 182
I have a rose in a large pot.  It has been there several years and each year I prune it, take off the top couple of inches of soil and top up with new compost, feed it etc.  It is quite healthy with lots of leaf growth, but last year it only had about three flowers overall and this year only one so far and no sign of new buds.   What am I doing wrong?   It is regularly watered and I feed it with a rose feed in the spring and also seaweed solution through the summer. 

Also I bought two bare rooted roses in November and because of the dreadful wet weather I planted them in pots.  They are both doing well with lots of buds and now flowering.  Should I keep them in pots for another year to get good root growth, before planting them out where I finally want them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Perhaps you are pruning off the flowering stems by mistake?  I'd been pruning my black elder wrong for 3 years, no flowers, this year it's covered in them.  Hopefully someone else has the answer for you........
  • Novice23Novice23 East SussexPosts: 182
    Thanks Mary370,  I think my problem was that I was not feeding it enough or not the right feed.  Lots of seaweed feed and TLC  and it is flowering like a goodun' now.