Forum home Problem solving

Lady. Diana clematis is dying,

My Lady Diana clematis is dying, full of flower buds, looked very healthy until 3 days ago. It is 3 years old and has flowers well other years.  I fed her with clematis feed in the spring, watered regularly, where have I gone wrong?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    A combination of being dry, and possible slug/snail damage lower down. 
    It's quite immature looking for a plant that's been planted for three years.
    How/where is it growing? Is it in a pot?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thank you thank you for replying, it’s in the ground, but maybe a little restricted, I’ve watered it quite often as it’s one of my favourites, it flowered so we’ll last year. This year it was getting so high I brought some of the stems down to entwine with the others.
    edited June 2020
    Have you ever pruned it?
    I'm assuming it's also Princess Diana that you have. It should be pruned right back at the end of winter/early spring so that new shoots come through. 
    You need to extend the supports for it so that you get better coverage.  :)

Here's a link to Taylor's site for info
    https://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-princess-diana.html

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    I agree.  Clematis are hungry, thirsty plants anyway so need a generous dollop of slow release fertiliser for clematis or roses or tomatoes every spring and then regular watering in dry spells.

As @Fairygirl says, your Princess Diana should be pruned back hard every March and then fed and she will then put on 2 to 4 metres of growth each year and there should be more stems each year as she matures.

I would start by giving yours a bucketful of water, poured slowly so it sinks in, and a feed and then at least 5 litres a day until she picks up and whenever there's a dry spell.  This will help her get her roots better established.    I would also try and give her more support so you can twine new stems more horizontally or diagonally as this will increase flowering.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for your advice. 😀
    Let us know how you get on.  It's a lovely clemat is.  I planted one in my last garden and have bought one for this garden.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It looks so sad I think I’ll cut it back, hope it’s clematis wilt and see if it comes back next year. 
    It's not wilt, it's just needs the correct care  :)

Don't cut it back yet.  Give it plenty to drink and then some feed and wait to see where any new buds form then cut back to those.
  • Thank you I’ll do that. 😄