Forum home Plants

Bizzy Lizzies/Tomato plants

laurie12laurie12 Posts: 19
Hello all, I am new here, just a gentle question for starters! I have Lizzies that I have overwintered, so they are a little leggy. I am wondering if you can plant them a bit deeper, like you would tomatoes (they produce roots from submerged stalk), or will they damp off? Thank you x

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Hi @laurie12 - not something I grow, but the usual method would probably be to cut them back to encourage new, bushier growth.

Someone who does grow them might be able to confirm or refute  that though - so don't get the snippers out just yet.... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874
    I used to grow them way back. I would cut them back by about two thirds and repot into lovely fresh compost. 

Use the bits you cut off as cuttings (nip the tips out). They strike easily if you put them in a jar of water and you’ll have new flowering plants before summer is over. 

😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I vaguely remember my mum having them @Dovefromabove , and she managed to keep them alive, so they can't be too tricky  :D

• laurie12laurie12 Posts: 19
    Thank you both! I find them so useful in the shady border at the bottom of the garden - didn't realise they were so "old hat"!
    Lots of people still grow them , although I believe there was a problem recently with viruses, and many people stopped growing them. Don't know what the situation is now though.

I don't really do bedding plants at all  :)

There was a virus (!), but I think these are probably about 10 years old! I have a problem allowing plants to die!! 
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    I would have thought 10 years is old for a buzzy lizzie.......might be time to say goodbye and take cuttings......
    Oh sorry! Original plant 10 years ago! These are cuttings of cuttings of cuttings! I just wanted to get them in the garden so was wanting to "bury" their legginess! Think I will try one and see what happens! I didn't make myself very clear sorry X Limerick ….. how lovely.