Forum home Plants

What is this plant please?

Reb_tReb_t Posts: 47
Hi, I bought this off a home stall when it was tiny. The label said kale...although now its growing it looks nothing like it to me 
Can anyone identify what it is please?
Sorry it's super hard to get a picture of the flowers on the top.  Incidentally the plant in the background which I think is possibly pak choi, that was from the same stall and was meant to be broccoli, if someone could confirm what that is too please 😂😂😂  thank you!!!!

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    It looks like it could be a campion?  Definitely not kale as you say :)  You could be right with pak choi if you mean the shiny bright green leaves.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Reb_tReb_t Posts: 47
    oh ok, I thought that was just a wild plant?

yes the bright green shiny leaves! broccoli :D
  • herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318
    Campion, proper name silene and there are garden varieties I believe. I'm rubbish with garden flowers unless you can eat them :D Some one else might help you out with that one.

I do like buying from fetes and the like, excitement of a lucky dip and all that.  Plus I have discovered plants I didn't know existed (usually because someone on this forum identified them for me!) and a few I could have lived without.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Well thank you for your input, my mum thought it might be some sort of campion but no idea what sort.  Lets hope someone reads this who knows their campions!!
    They are proudly growing in a row in my veg patch! haha, lets hope the bees like it when it finally flowers!
    Ive had a few mystery plants this year too, all from little stalls where labels have been mixed up or none at all, all fun! :)
    anyone else have any ideas what it is? or the type?

thanks
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714
    Very odd...a mystery.
    The leaves remind me in shape, texture, colour of Centranthus ruber.
    However your plant appears to have tiny flowers already...that prove my idea to be rubbish.
    I cannot think of any Campion with leaves like this plant.

Please can you try yo get a clear few pics to show the tiny flowers.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Ive just taken these, if that's any clearer?
    thanks

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,714

Really super clear pics.Thank you.
    I fear these are the seed capsules rather than flower buds.
    Hmm! Been thinking...but it's not getting me anywhere.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    hahaa oh dear! the mystery thickens 
    I guess if I wait a few more weeks I might find out more, not that I will be able to identify it still, but someone might....