Forum home Garden design

Garden path shape

Pam285Pam285 HullPosts: 74
Last year I removed a lot of my lawn to create larger borders on either side of a zig zag grass path. I left the original concrete path in place. Having lived with the new garden shape I want to remove the original concrete path entirely and change the grass path into a more durable path. I’m thinking of a brick path. We are having the concrete patio replaced with a brick patio which ties in with the house walls. My question relates to the shape of the grass path to be replaced. Should I go with it’s current shape or go for a sweeping path from one side of the garden fence across to join the hard standing at the back of the garden. I was thinking the path should start off 1.4 metres wide reducing to 1.2.  So 2 people can walk along together. 
My other question is how to access and organise what will be two large long borders. Preferred style is cottage garden. Pictures below. Welcome thoughts and advice. 

• Pam285Pam285 HullPosts: 74

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,556
    Excellent images and description!  Really helpful.  I think your seeping path is spot on, especially for a cottage garden style.  I suggest putting round cement stepping stones at some locations so you can access the deeper parts of the beds in spring and fall, or as needed.  Leave space between them and the summer growing will soon cover them from eye.  Even a bit of a path between the plants against the fence and the higher back of the boarder.  
    Utah, USA.
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 376
    Perhaps think about how you will create your intended reducing width and the dimensions.  
    Are you planning to step in your path at some point or tapering it on 1 or both sides?
    It can prove awkward to achieve an aesthetically pleasing layout with modular items (bricks, blocks etc). 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    edited June 2020
    I use stepping stones to access my borders, albeit square ones as l find them easier to stand on than the round ones. I also put pots on them to fill in the gaps when they're not needed, but use plastic pots as they're easier to move than terracotta ones. If you use black pots, they tend to disappear into the background. 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,248
    I also use stepping stones to access the borders.Unlike AnniD I favour round ones as I need things symmetrical and square does not work as I can't line them up with anything properly so messes with my head!
    Also like the sweeping path idea.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    @madpenguin, l tend to look like Bambi on ice trying to balance on the round ones. Apparently it's one of the funniest things my OH has ever seen 😁.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,168
    I rather like your zigzag path, it's more unusual than curvy, sinuous ones, and the points form a natural focal-point, where you could perhaps have the same plant, to form a rhythm down the path.

If you don't like the grass what about putting down a membrane and gravelling it.  It will be easier than brick, possibly cheaper, and it will give a softer, cottagey/meditteranean feel.  You could edge the path with the same bricks that you plan to use for the hard-standing, which will bring the two areas together.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,860
    I think you zig zag looks great too.  I'd put down bark on it......