Forum home Problem solving

Please, confirm what firs these are!

Hi, am obviously a newbie & firstly would like confirmation of firs, hopefully in the 1st pic that I have (successfully!) posted. The remaining pic are of fir that we thought were fir in the 1st pic.

However, it became obvious that these weren't the firs we wanted and all was fine for the first 7 years we had them planted. It wasn't until 2-3 years ago that I went a little bit mad and due to not having trimmed bushes for a couple of years due to illnesses, I think I went a little overboard! Were hoping they may have 'come back' but as they have been like this for past 2-3 years, it is now time that we uproot these 'overtrimmed' and planted new.

It was the fir as in 1st pic that we were after all along and will, in due course, or even as they grow, ask how to keep trimmed and more than anything to a maximum height of 4-5 ft. 

Main question is can we uproot old firs and plant new (once we know exact name) at this time of year, or is there a specific window when this should be done? Many many thanks for reading and for any replies/help/advice given.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380
    Welcome to the Forum, but no pics
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351
    If pics won’t upload try reducing the size. That usually works. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• msfy1306msfy1306 Posts: 6
    Have just seen and do not why. I had to edit above post as was going to post 4 pics but 2 were too large a file. See if it works this time!
    edited June 2020
    I'd say they USED to be castelwellan gold, now they're  fit for the bonfire.
    Sorry
    Devon.
    Ok. Appears had little success with pics. We have paid visit to garden centre this pm and they only had 2 firs on show/for sale. No doubt down to current circs. Only 1 they had that looked a smaller version of the 1 we were originally after and think is same as one in 1st pic-a 'Cupressus'. It is just that whilst they are maybe foot high in plant pot, their branches seem much more upright and nowhere near as 'lay flat' as in 1st pic, if that makes sense! I cannot remember name of the fir type that we mistakenly bought that appears in pic 2!
    Thanks dove from above and hostafan. I just remembered I took pic of Cupressus whilst at garden centre and would now like confirmation that the image here is just a smaller version of the fir in pic 1? (just to get it straight in my own head).
    that looks like Curpressus macrocarpa Goldcrest
    Devon.
    Nice one! Now we're getting somewhere. Didn't know there were more than 1 cupressus. Now, final question...is the fir in pic 1 at 16.04 just a more mature version of the one ' Curpressus macrocarpa Goldcrest'? If this is the case, can we go ahead over the next couple/few weeks buying 4 or 5 of the Goldcrest and plant? 

So so grateful for the immediate help we have had & actually absolute answers :-)
    IMHO the photo in the 16.04 photo is Curpessocyparis Castlewellan Gold.
    A massive beast of a thing if you let it grow. ( related to the much derided "Leylandii" )
    Devon.
    Ahh! Bugger, wouldn't that mean that both firs - the 'bonfire' fir and the healthy one in pic 2, are the same? Certainly don't want a massive beast of a thing. Are there any dwarf type firs - max height of 5 ft - or any firs that would fit this description? Or is it really just a case of keeping any fir trimmed, annually, and not leaving resulting in massive over the top pruning? Yes, I really am this bad...proof of this in pic 1 :-(