Forum home Plants

Help: What is it and how do I save it?

I was given a shrub from a neighbour's garden; it was part of the development's landscaping. It has a woody stem and smallish oval leaves the underside of which are cream (I think it might be a thick bloom). The leaves on the ends were dry and crispy when I got it and rather than improving after re-planting and plenty of watering they are worse, all leaves are now dry. It has gone from a south facing position to east facing so isn't getting more sun.

I have tried to identify the plant, so I know how to care for it, but have not been successful. Please help!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I’d be interested to know as well, I have the same shrub, I put it out for ID on here a few years ago and nobody knew, it gets loads of tiny white flowers later on. 

I think yours has just given up in this dry month. It may recover but the dead leaves won’t. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    edited June 2020
    Not sure what it is either. Sometimes, because of plant similarities it's necessary to have a really clear close up of leaves and flowers. Many times photos are posted but if you try to zoom in for a close look it's all blurred. Makes ID difficult. 

It's a bad time to transplant at the moment, warmth and drought will kill them quickly. It is also advised to remove a lot of the top growth to reduce water loss. Although all this depends on what type of plant it is. 

All I can advise is to water, water and water some more. If it's in the sun then it's best to shade it if possible.

Any chance it's this?
    https://g.co/kgs/HEoE7x
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    edited June 2020
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thank you all so much for your answers.  I have looked at the landscaping plan for the development and there is Olearia Haasti indicated in the garden that I got it from, so Silver surfer top marks to you. I actually looked at the plan before but this shrub is so far gone I couldn't even identify it from the list of plants.
    It was in a sunny position but suspect it hadn't been watered. Fingers crossed I can bring it back around. Thank you again. 
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,709
    My first thought was Olearia x haastii,
    We used to grow it.
    However  do not remember back of leaves being silver.
    Dimple leaf surface fits.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    That does look very much like mine although it’s so old and got such thick trunks, it’s quite horrible. I pruned back a few branches a couple of years ago but it didn’t recover, I just leave it for bird shade, it’s very dense and evergreen and next to the bird feeders for shelter.

I have to say, it’s withstood some bad weather, catches the east winds straight off the Moor in the winter, strong west winds in the summer,  been buried under snow, survived freezing  ground. 
    Its next to an equally horrible plant that I hate, Skimmia, again only there for the birds. 

• Bijdezee you got it right too :) Thankfully we've got rain today and over the next couple of weeks so it may help. 
    I've checked the stems and they're green so it isn't completely dead. Will try cutting back and see what happens. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,006
    Just rain won't save it.  5 litres a day per shrub and poured on slowly so it soaks in.  Then you can go to 5 litres every other day till it shows signs of picking up.

You have to compensate for it having been lifted and planted at the wrong time of year for shrubs and in a hot dry period to boot.   Keep an eye on it all thru summer and water regularly till the autumn rains come in.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated. Do you think I should prune it and if so how far back? 
    Anyone advise on the pruning? I pruned mine back and branches never grew again. I’ve just got green on the top like an umbrella perched on bare wood.