Forum home Fruit & veg

Peas and mangetout spacing

Hi. This is the first time I've ever planted vegetables. I've got a question about spacing my peas and mangetout. I planted them both in a zigzag pattern 2cm apart in separate crates, two rows in each crate. Do I have to thin them out? The instruction on the seeds packet didn't say I had to, but I was told by a friend that I should. I'm a bit confused now. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,898
    I think think they will be fine, especially as you've got quality growing medium and can pay attention to water and feeding.  I generally ignore packet spacing rules for raised beds and large pots, etc.  How deep is the soil in your boxes?  That might be a concern, it's difficult to tell from the pictures.  
    Utah, USA.
  • I think think they will be fine, especially as you've got quality growing medium and can pay attention to water and feeding.  I generally ignore packet spacing rules for raised beds and large pots, etc.  How deep is the soil in your boxes?  That might be a concern, it's difficult to tell from the pictures.  
    The soil is between 8-9 inches high. Is that not enough? Should I attempt to raise it somehow?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,898
    No..that will do just fine.  Good luck and enjoy your crops!  If you do want/need to thin out, you can eat the top few inches of young plants.. so not all is wasted.  
    Utah, USA.
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    I can't tell from the photos (perspective making my eyes funny), but you should put some twiggy sticks in there, dotted through the bed. They'll grab on when they're small and use them to help vertical growth. Once peas get to a decent size they'll usually intertwine and support each other, but in the early stages they have a tendency to fall over when they're looking for somewhere to grip on to.