Forum home Fruit & veg

apple tree

ocarney1ocarney1 essexPosts: 7
Can anybody help with a small potted apple tree that is becoming shrivelled. Is it a pest or something else ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Probably aphids inside the curled-up leaves.  You can just snip-off the worst affected ones and the tree will grow new ones.  Use the spray on the hose to clear-off any others you see, which will nearly always be on the newest leaves at the tips.  Hanging a bird feeder nearby may help as the birds will clear up aphids while they await their turn at the feeder.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ocarney1ocarney1 essexPosts: 7
    Thank you kind sir I shall get pruning👍
  • Some of those leaves look too far gone, take the worst off, and spray with an insecticide and the tree should recover, best of luck
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,312
    edited June 2020
    Why spray with an insecticide if you’ve already removed the most affected ones @BenTheBeginner?

You’re surely not suggesting using a systemic insecticide on a food crop 😱

leaves with just a few aphids are easily dealt with between thumb and forefinger 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ocarney1ocarney1 essexPosts: 7
    I've given it a drastic haircut and shall keep a close eye on it
    Thanks all
  • Why spray with an insecticide if you’ve already removed the most affected ones @BenTheBeginner?

You’re surely not suggesting using a systemic insecticide on a food crop 😱

leaves with just a few aphids are easily dealt with between thumb and forefinger 
    Hi, sorry I assumed this tree is too young to fruit, my apologies, if you're planning to eat the fruit please don't. In my experience aphids have only been managed via insecticide, but aphids have never been numerous on my Apple Tree, again apologies