Forum home Fruit & veg

Inedible figs

Hello All,
our elderly neighbour has a beautiful fig tree which overhangs our garden and is laden with figs. However, every year the figs drop en-masse before ripening. Our neighbour says she can remember her late husband harvesting thousands of figs from this tree years ago but for some reason, the fruits just don't seem to be able to reach maturity any more. It's a fine tree, about fifteen or so feet high and looks to be in rude good health. The pictures show the tree and then what's inside the figs at this early stage. Can anyone please suggest how we might ensure the figs stay on the tree until they ripen? It all seems such a waste and I love figs, so to see this happen year after year is particularly maddening. Thank you, Phil.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,382
    Drought?  My small fig tree gets at least a bucket of water a day from April
    to mid  September... sometimes more. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,646
    The productive capabilities of fruit trees does decline with age, so it could just be too old. In saying that, we have a 40 year old white fig at our family seaside home that still produces a good crop, but the soil is very fertile and the conditions ideal. Drought is probably more likely.