Forum home Problem solving

Slow rudbeckia

This is my rudbeckia goldstrum. It's spread quite a bit since planting as a 9cm pot and seems to be slow off the mark this year. There is still growth but just slow.

Suspect this is a combination of too large a clump and dry weather but looking to confirm. It's done very well for the past 2 years.

Will be an absolute pig to try and dig up in Autumn to divide given it's spread out to the buddleja and rosemary.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 748
    Mine are really slow this year, they don’t seem to have grown much at all in the last month. They are always slower than a lot of my other perennials to really get going but definitely more so this year. My assumption is that it’s the heat. 
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Mine have been wilting so I have had to water them, even though they are established plants, so they need decent amounts of water.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Mine too. I sowed some new red rudbeckia indoors in April, only 3 came up and they're still very slow getting going. A second sowing 2 weeks ago gave me only one seedling which is do small you need a magnifying glass to see it. I guess it's not the best rudbeckia year. 
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,012
    Glad to hear it's not just mine. I have given it a good soak. 

I have another one planted last Autumn that gets less sun and it's further on.