Forum home Plants

Monty's Ginger Lilly

jayne10bjayne10b Posts: 105
So I was quite taken with Monty's ginger lilly that he planted this week and thought I might like to give them a go.  Has anyone successfully grown these?

His looked fairly large so was wondering how old they are before they flower - is it quite a number of years, or if I set seeds off now, would they flower next year do you think?  

TIA

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    I had some for about 5 years in sunny Devon. The got to over 2m tall every year and never once flowered. I dug them up last year and dumped them. grrr
    Devon.
    Treeface said:
    Is this a plant which produces an edible ginger tuber?
    no, same family , but grown for flowers, ( allegegly )
    Devon.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,671
    We have one that we planted in the totally wrong place many years ago. However it forgave us and starts late in the season and does flower quite well.
    It reaches about 3 feet with its foliage.
    Ours wasn't from seed we bought a young plant.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,590
    Hedychium  like a big pot, plenty of water and feed, and full sun. Given that they will flower. I have grown some from seed to flower in about 3 years.
    No idea why mine didn't flower. The clumps were about 18" in diamater, looked lovely and healthy and got up to over 2m tall, lots of water, lots of feed . Hey ho. Such is gardening eh?
    Devon.
  • UpNorthUpNorth Posts: 376
    Hostafan1 said:
    No idea why mine didn't flower. The clumps were about 18" in diamater, looked lovely and healthy and got up to over 2m tall, lots of water, lots of feed . Hey ho. Such is gardening eh?
    I think even with the right conditions, if you have a year that isn't quite sunny enough for long enough, still a struggle to get flowers on them. 

i've just acquired a small Hedychium Greeneii which is a bit slow to go ( largely because the sun burnt it's leaves to a crisp in the greenhouse and i'm now waiting on two small buds to take off again).....fingers crossed for a nice long sunny season...
     UpNorth said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    I think even with the right conditions, if you have a year that isn't quite sunny enough for long enough, still a struggle to get flowers on them. 

I gave mine 5 years and not a single flower on any of them. I'm not carrying passengers,lol, so out they came.
    Devon.