Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is this a song thrush?

This bird is in our small garden and isn't the least bit timid. It's allowed me to take photos. We've seen it a couple of times now and hardly dare hope that it's a thrush, having read that they're solitary and not timid when living in gardens it seems as though it could be... :o

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,906
    It looks like a thrush, but whether its a song thrush or a mistle thrush, no idea.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    It is a thrush but I'd say it's a juvenile blackbird.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,329
    I thought young blackbird as well.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,089
    I's agree with @wild edges and say a young blackbird as they have that colouration (so do some females.)   It still has a bit of a hook shape to the beak, so definitely a young thrush of some variety.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    For comparison this is a definite juvenile blackbird that used to help me in the garden last year. Very thrushy at that age.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,288
    Yes ... juvenile blackbird. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,248
    Another vote for juvenile blackbird.
    I have had several in the garden over he past few days!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • MoklesMokles Posts: 30
    Thank you all. I'm a little disappointed that it's not a thrush but still delighted that I could get so close to it. :)
    Mokles said:
    Thank you all. I'm a little disappointed that it's not a thrush but still delighted that I could get so close to it. :)
    It's still a thrush. Just not a song thrush. :)

• MoklesMokles Posts: 30
    Ah. I didn't realise that the blackbird is a thrush. You learn something new everyday. :)