Forum home Fruit & veg

Not beetroot?

trinderstrinders HighlandsPosts: 3
Hi, Im needing help with identifying beetroot that doesnt seem to be beetroot. In a packet of bolthardy seeds and these came out more like chard? Anyone know what they are? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,849
    They look more like leaf beet aka perpetual spinach.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • trinderstrinders HighlandsPosts: 3
    The seeds all looked the same, would that be right for perpetual spinach? 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,849
    Yes, Beetroot, leaf beet and chard all look similar as seeds. 

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,271
    And you can eat the leaves of all of them ... including the beetroot ... they're very closely related.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399
    They do look a lot like my fordhook giant chard are at the moment
  • trinderstrinders HighlandsPosts: 3
    Thanks for the advice - I got them from T & M so a bit of a mix in the packet!  Was a bit disappointed as Ive never grown early and planted out before and was looking forward to lots of beetroot (we had snow the other week so things only just getting going up here now) but so long as they are edible they can stay! 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,558
    I would say the rogues are chard rather than perpetual spinach, but either way all good lightly steamed with butter!