Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plant curling

My Alicante tomato plants have been absolutely thriving in my windowsill over the past week, however in the past couple of days I’ve noticed some of the smaller leaves curling under themselves quite tightly I think some people call this “pigtailing”, I’m absolutely devastated because they’ve become really strong beautiful plants, is this anything to worry about? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    Noooo don't be devastated B)  ... I don't think that's anything to worry about ... mine often do that in high temperatures, especially when they're growing strongly ... I think it's a way for them to present less of the leaf surface to the sun so they don't lose so much moisture in transpiration.  

So, my advice is Panic Not!  I think they're fine ... they'll sort themselves out.   If you haven't got anywhere you can put them outside in the daytime to harden them off, then put a sheet of newspaper or similar up against the glass when the sun's full on them to give them just a bit of protection.  

Hope that helps  :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove Phew! Thank you so much for helping thats a great idea about putting something up against the window when the sun is very strong, plant panic over :) 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    Glad to help ... time for a coffee  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• If you could somehow get some humidity round your plants that will help too. also watch for direct sunlight which could also contribute to this. But totally agree with other comments be patient.
  • @angelique 2 Ahh fab will do thanks for your reply :)