Forum home Fruit & veg

Black fly on broad beans

Hi all. New here, fairly new to working a veg patch. I’ve got blackfly On my broad beans, soapy water hasn't Helped. Will rose clear ultra damage the plant or get into it enough so as the beans won’t be edible. 
Many thank
Al

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,758
    Don’t use Roseclear ... it’ll contaminate your beans it’s not for edibles! 🤮

pick off the top of the plant that’s the part the aphids go for ... watch Fridays Gardeners World ... Monty Don showed how. 

If the blackfly are on the pods squirt a hosepipe of water at them and wash them off. They’ll be fine. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    My old dad used to pick the tops off, give them a jolly good rinse in salty water, boil them lightly, butter them, add salt and pepper, and go and sit in a corner and eat them on his own.

Nobody else was invited to the feast. He said they were his and his alone. Sometimes, if you pleaded long enough he’d give you a taste. They were delicious.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    They are delicious ... a once a year gourmet feast. We had ours a fortnight ago. They were fabulous. I look forward to them
    every year. 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ok thanks for your advice. I will try to find the episode of gardeners world and watch it! Thanks again
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 811
    The liquor from boiled rhubarb leaves, sprayed from a household spraygun will do it.
    nick615 said:
    The liquor from boiled rhubarb leaves, sprayed from a household spraygun will do it.
    It may well work @nick615, but it is toxic ... and I prefer not to spray toxic stuff on my food  ;)

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 811
    I respect your caution, Dove, and I've never seen an aphid since moving to Ireland in 2007.  However, it's a measure I've used back in Sussex, where I wasn't so lucky, with no ill effects.  I work to the principle that I spray the leaves (which we don't eat) and any spray that does get on the pods can't transfer inside to the beans.
    Ah, but I take the tops off and cook and eat them ... a gourmet delight just once a year ... and then we get no aphids either. 🍽 

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,787
    If you have a sprayer with a strong jet hold the top of the plant and power hose them off.

Or just use your fingers. 
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 346
    I’m struggling to control blackfly this year. I pinched out the broad bean tops just as the blackfly started to arrive, but they’ve gone wild. I feel like I’m squishing them and blasting them with the hose as much as I can, but they keep coming and have now spread to my courgettes and french beans. 

The broad beans are fairly resilient, and the beans are still forming (just a bit wonky) but the french beans seem to suffer much worse, as the growing tips get quite deformed.

Dilute washing up liquid didn’t do much, and I don’t have any rhubarb. Any other suggestions?