Forum home Problem solving

Why has my Rose Bush suddenly changed its colour???

Hi all,
This is my first post. I am by no means a professional gardener, semi professional or indeed any real sort of gardener at all. My knowledge of growing, maintaining, pruning etc is pretty much all down to googling!
The reason why I'm posting on here is basically google has not given me a decent answer to my question. And it's a weird one to be sure, so here goes my story.....

About 9 years ago when I worked in an office as a software tester, a colleague forgot Valentines Day and the shops had run out of roses and all he could get was an indoor miniature rose plant which he promptly bought, chopped all the little red roses off of then chucked the plant in the bin.
I thought that was a bit mean (kind of like getting a puppy for Christmas and then dumping it in the new year) so rescued it and decided to give it a chance and planted in my garden in between two existing red rose bushes. Somehow it survived! Yay, and for the last 8 years has produced consistent deep red miniature roses.

However, this year out of the blue it's suddenly completely changed colour and is giving white roses!!!!!!!
The 2 bushes either side are still producing their red roses so it cant be anything in the soil, and the roses haven't slowly faded each year over time. I did hear that a lot of times one rose stem is grafted on to the root of another rose and grown that way, and that sometimes the root itself can regrow its own shoots and they'll bloom a different colour, but these aren't new shoots, and the whole plant has changed colour, not just roses on fresh growth.
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of it before it changed colour as I obviously didn't expect it to suddenly change, but I've no reason to fib and friends and family can confirm what colour it used to be, but attach a picture of what it looks like now. I have no idea of its species etc.

Can someone give me a definitive answer of how and established rose bush can give deep red roses for 9 years and then suddenly change colour the following year please as it's freaking me out now.

As I said, I'm no gardener, hence why it looks so straggily, but I intend to prune it back this season.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,657
    I wonder if the rootstock has taken over ? Hopefully one of the rose experts on here can advise  :)
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,957
    Well, it's a lovely rose, whatever has happened😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,013
    Have you ever seen a white flower on that rose?
    Are the white flowers the same form (shape, number of petals) as the red flowers were or are they completely different?
    Are you absolutely sure these are on the canes that had red flowers last year, not on canes that were blind?
    And the last question, are you absolutely sure it is the same rose (is it possible someone switched it)?
    It looks a bit too pretty for a rootstock but who knows how are these minis produced.
  • foxwalesfoxwales Posts: 66
    Looks like a red bud behind one of the white flowers on the pic, that would suggest the root stock has taken over the graft stock.  Only way to explain a colour change, unless you have some genetically altered rose.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,531
    ..that's red rose hip there.. not a bud..
    ...as the original rose was an indoor miniature, there won't be any rootstock there, those types of roses are grown on their own roots, so no rootstock... what sometimes happens is that whoever did the original pot, working at speed as they all do in these propagating greenhouses, inadvertently put a cutting of a different rose in the same pot... usually there are 2 or 3 cuttings per pot... 
    ..however after all these years I would have expected the rogue cutting - the white one - to have showed itself long before now and you would have noticed the white rose earlier... I can only assume the red rose has died off... 
    ...that's the only explanation I can come up with.. it's unlikely to be a 'sport' or a seedling,  but your white rose is showing its true colours and looks very nice... so I would just enjoy that, and remember, they only cost a few pounds to buy, if you really miss a red one..
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,657
    Interesting about the miniature roses and no rootstock @Marlorena  .
    You learn something new every day  :)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,531
    ..oh me too...but you would never get a rootstock into those small pots, or be able to keep it there for long..   the member hasn't been back so I hope they are not still freaking out over a rose..
  • Marlorena said:
    ..oh me too...but you would never get a rootstock into those small pots, or be able to keep it there for long..   the member hasn't been back so I hope they are not still freaking out over a rose..
    Sorry for the delay in getting back on here, i've been at work. Only managed a week on furlough until I was asked back and have been working solidly ever since, with no time to really enjoy the garden :'(

• stephenlangleystephenlangley Posts: 3
    edited June 2020
    edhelka said:
    Have you ever seen a white flower on that rose?
    Are the white flowers the same form (shape, number of petals) as the red flowers were or are they completely different?
    Are you absolutely sure these are on the canes that had red flowers last year, not on canes that were blind?
    And the last question, are you absolutely sure it is the same rose (is it possible someone switched it)?
    It looks a bit too pretty for a rootstock but who knows how are these minis produced.
    In answer to your questions, I have the following, and not particularly helpful at times, answers...…  :p 

Up until this year, nope the roses have always been a deep red colour.

I never actually really noticed them before other than they were small and red. I think they look the same but can't be 100% sure.

Yep, absolutely sure that these are on existing canes as well as fresh ones.

Absolutely sure it hasn't been swapped. I live in a ground floor flat with my own garden on what only can be described as a complete cesspool of an estate. I'm a social outcast as I actually have a job and don't spend my mornings waiting outside the local shop for cheap lager and rizla papers for my "exotic" hand rolled smoke. As such, my flat and garden are like Fort Knox with cctv linked to my phone, alarms, security lighting and and as you aren't allowed to put up razor wire or broken glass on the top of fences in case thieves hurt themselves, the fences are topped with anti-cat strips (with a small hole cut in the bottom of one panel so my cat can still come home :p ). Also, my cat has more brain cells than most of the estate combined so they wouldn't even think of a clever joke of swapping plants.