Forum home Plants

Dividing and POTTING Iris Sibirica?

Hi everyone,

My grandparents are lucky enough to have a big garden which was previously owned by a bit of a plantsperson. I've recently discovered some huge hidden beds of gorgeous blue and yellow Siberian Irises, and they've given me permission to pilfer!

Wondering if anyone can advise of the best time to divide off some rhizomes?

Secondly, would I be OK to pot some up for the winter, ready to plant in the spring? (in a bed that doesn't exist quite yet...). I have lots of different sized pots. What size would be ideal

Thanks!

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 554
    I have these and i just split them when they have finished flowering and yes you can pot them up and plant next year.I have some of mine in pots that i give to friends and family.

• Voyagerxp said:
    I have these and i just split them when they have finished flowering and yes you can pot them up and plant next year.I have some of mine in pots that i give to friends and family.

Great! Did you divide them recently! I'm not sure how long these have been flowering for as I only just discovered them! 
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 554
    edited May 2020
     No those i divided last year after it finished flowering, easy enough to do, division  of rhizomes from midsummer to early autumn