Forum home Fruit & veg

Which tomato seeds are best quality please?

Hi there - beginner here and first-time veg grower!

I'd like to try and grow some tomatoes from seed this summer - if I am not too late. Ideally 

Lycopersicon esculentum ‘Gardener’s Delight’.

I jumped on Amazon to order some seeds, but actually, when I saw lots of 1-star reviews, it occurred to me that, probably, like everything else, not all tomato seeds are created equal. 

Where can I source seeds which are of good quality? (Yes, I did try this website, but unless I am missing something really obvious, it appears there's plenty fo advice on how to grow them, but no way to actually buy seeds...? 

Any help appreciated. Thank you! :-) 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,509
    edited May 2020
    I fear you may be a bit too late to start them from seed at this time of year to be honest.
    You can probably buy young plants though. Garden centres and some supermarkets sell them.
    No seeds or plants are sold on this site, but members do often swap seeds and plants.

Gardener's Delight is a good tomato. It's been around for many, many years with good reason and is still very popular, and easy to grow in a greenhouse or outdoors.
    If the Amazon site gave it poor ratings I can only assume it's reflecting the quality of the seed and not the tomatoes.
    I've grown them many times.

I've had good seed this year from Simpson's Seeds and Premier Seeds Direct
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,447
    I buy all my seeds from eBay, never pay more than 99p per pack and most post free.
    I don’t think you can go by Amazon reviews, the people that write those may have no idea how to sow them or look after them. There are several sites on Amazon that are the same sellers as eBay, they sell on both.
    Just don’t buy any that come from China.
    A lot of it is up to the person who buys them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    I wouldn't look at reviews on Amazon to determine the quality of anything  ;)
    Often - it's the seller that's being reviewed too, not the product.

If you look on reliable seed seller's sites [there are loads - Marshall's, Chilterns, Suttons etc ] you can see what's available, but it's a bit late unless you're growing in a greenhouse. 
    It's a matter of taste [literally] and what will suit your conditions too. We used to have a thread for tomato recommendations too, with people saying what they had found in terms of germination, taste, reliability etc. 
    I'd agree with @Pete.8- G's Delight is a reliable, easy tom. 

Here's the swap thread  :)
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1035231/seed-and-plant-swap-2020/p1
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

This is one of the companies I use,
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomato-Moneymaker-Appx-240-Vegetable-Seeds-Outdoor-Variety/232313445544?epid=12016860264&hash=item3616f5dca8:g:TOQAAOSwE0JY~2zH

Also premier Seeds direct although they do have their own website now 

• Thanks everyone! 
    It seems to be the consensus that I may be a it late for tomatoes this year, what could I grow from seed if I plant in June? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,390
    As @Pete.8 said- you might still get some plants in GCs or DIY stores, but with the current situation, they could be poor. In a normal year - you might still have got some. I've certainly done that in the past, especially when I only had windowsills to grow on.

Lyn & Philippa were posting at the same time as me [I'm very slow!] and yes, Premier Seeds is very good, and I think they're back online again after being closed for a while.

It will depend what you want to grow - is it veg you want? It might be a good idea to just look at those sites mentioned, and see what's available. You can then plan for next year  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, it is veg I want. 
    I work full time and have 4 children so I don't have a ton of free time, so I thought it would be wise to start with just the one vegetable, so I can get to know it and can get good at one thing rather than try and grow 4 or 5 different thing and end up failing miserably. 
    I had opted for the tomato because we all like it and tend to have a lot of it, but I might just have a look at what I can grow from seed in June (I like the idea of growing from seed) and go with something else the whole family likes... :-) 
    If you belong to Facebook you can look on your local selling sites,  ours has a lot to offer in little veg plants, all social distancing, they leave plants at their gate with a jam jar for the money. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,509
    You could start off with radish and lettuce - they're both quick and easy
    If you like kale that will happily provide from late autumn and through winter.
    Some pots of salad leaves are really easy and ready in about 3 weeks
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    If you have room for six  canes tied together, you could grow climbing beans up it. You can plant french climbing or runner beans now and have beans in about 10 weeks.  Otherwise you can still sow beetroot and radish now.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3