Forum home Fruit & veg

alderman pea plants

hi all, i am a little confused as to why my alderman pea plants are not flowering.
first year growing this variety and they are now 5 feet tall but cant understand why there are no flowers, 1 or 2 are just starting to flower right at the top but nothing from ground up until about 5 foot high, will they flower further down the plant at some point of have i done something wrong, was looking forward to a bumper crop this year but looks as though im not gonna get many  :(  :( any advice please see pic attached.
thanks john

• Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 113
    Possibly to much nitrogen. Have you been feeding them? 
  • i fed them last week with potash no nitrogen
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,067
    @stevensjonathan1124 Can you see any flower buds like on the image I've just taken below (circled in purple)?  My tall peas (Lord Leicester) are only just beginning to show and are also 5 feet tall at the moment.  The good news (for me, at least) is that there are tiny flower buds like these appearing all the way up the stems, on all similar leaf joints. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • thanks for the pic bob, only just seen reply. i have had a look and yes you are right small buds forming like in the photo, maybe im just a little impatient lol thanks for the help.
    ps how long before they flower and should i pinch out the top as they are now nearly 7 foot tall and 1 or 2 have already bent over

Yes, I'd pinch the tops out - I've already had a few snap in the wind, so am doing the same.
    Difficult to say how soon the flowers will grow, but once they start things will happen very quickly.  I've noticed that the flowers are starting to grow on those plants with the broken tops, so pinching-out may well spur them into action! 🤞
  • cheers bob pruners at hand lol lets hope for plenty of peas will post a pic if and when they start to flower thanks again
    I'll do the same. :)