Forum home Fruit & veg

Cucumber seedlings being eaten

Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 165
Hi all,

I've recently planted out my cucumber seedlings and already they're being chomped in the raised bed. It started with just 1 but now 4 of the 6 have been at least partially got at.

Any thoughts what could be attacking them and what I could do to hold them off at least until they get a bit more established?

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    Slugs. There are plenty of tricks (look for tips on keeping hosts safe), but fundamentally the best protection is to grow the seedlings on more. The larger and harder they are, the more slug resistant.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Slugs........they are still very small to be put out
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,061
    This is the size I just planted one of mine out:
    I usually do it when there are a couple of full-size leaves, so this one is about a week or two later than I usually plant them.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 165
    Ah ok thanks, would you suggest I dig them out and put them in larger pots until they are a bit more resistant? They only went in a couple of days ago
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,061
    It's worth trying, but you'll need to be really careful to avoid damaging the roots.  I'd have a practice on the worst affected one - if it survives 24h after potting-up the rest should too.  You could protect them in-situ by cutting the bottom off of a 2l plastic bottle, removing the lid and pushing the bottle into the soil over the plant.  You will need to provide some shade if you do that otherwise the heat from direct sunlight inside the bottle will cook and kill them.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.