Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato curling branches

Hi there 

I'm growing two tomato plants on my way southwest facing windowsill. One is a tumbling variety which is thriving, but my gardeners delight doesn't seem very happy... I'm starting to see some fruit but higher up the trunk has split and rejoined in two places and the branches seem to be curling into spirals. 

I water daily and keep the compost moist, and feeding twice per week. They are definitely getting plenty of sun!   I wondered if being too cramped by the window was a problem so have been moving it out onto a table in front of the window during the day.

Any advice??

• mikepatonmikepaton Posts: 2
    One more view of the curling branches 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,674
    Hi @mikepaton - they don't need fed so often.  :)
    Gardener's Delight are quite tough and really only need the odd feed from the initial one when fruits first set.
    I'm assuming it was started into growth quite early if it's so far on. There's no need to keep the compost permanently moist either, but if you've done that from the start, it's best to continue.
    The curling foliage can happen quite readily, and it's probably best that you've moved it away from searing heat. Ventilation is equally important for good heath.
    Are you unable to get them outside?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....