Forum home Plants

Hi all, does anyone know what this plant is. I snapped it on the edge of someone’s garden when out w

• bbarker1211bbarker1211 North YorkshirePosts: 8
    Thanks again. Fairy girl, I’ll be having a look at their website.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,117
    When you say you "snapped it on the edge of someone's garden" do you mean you stole it?
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,079
    edited June 2020
    ‘Snap’ ... the term Ma used for what we call a photograph. 

To her a photograph was best clothes on and posed in front of a photographer with a black cloth over his head and a camera on a tripod and when you got the photograph it was mounted and put in a frame and hung on the wall. 

🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137
    Thanks again. Fairy girl, I’ll be having a look at their website.
    There's also another excellent nursery called Edrom
    https://www.edrom-nurseries.co.uk/shop/pc/home.asp

Better get ready to re mortgage your home if you fancy a Hepatica or two  :D

I know you're young @Hostafan1, but you're not that young!  Getting 'snaps' developed - that takes me back  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,117
    I unreservedly apologise if I've casted any unwarranted aspersions.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137
    Hostafan1 said:
    I unreservedly apologise if I've casted any unwarranted aspersions.

I have to admit - that was what I was thinking initially too  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,079
    🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BettyWalesBettyWales Posts: 38
    I think I have the alpine version just come into full flower (can't remember the name sorry) but it will stay in flower all summer and looks fab! Hope you agree...

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,988
    edited June 2020
    I think I have the alpine version just come into full flower (can't remember the name sorry) but it will stay in flower all summer and looks fab! Hope you agree...

RHS seem to use the name Sisyrinchium idahoense  var bellum....common name blue eyed grass.
    Others just use Sisyrinchium bellum

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sisyrinchium+idahoense+'var.+bellum&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiovZqSw-LpAhXSoXEKHaZvABYQ_AUoAXoECBAQAw&biw=1920&bih=938
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,535
    edited June 2020
    Same with us with snaps @Dovefromabove. Snaps you could find your head cut off, plants growing out in places, nothing planned.

Photographs were put in frames. I’ve just potted on 8 of the alpine type grown from seeds my daughter collected from her alpine plant. They germinate very easily so if you can get some, worth doing.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.