Forum home The potting shed

Broad Beans

Lots of flowers...no bean pods is it only me?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574
    Hi @kendallphil2017 and welcome 😊 

I’m afraid we’ve been tucking into our broad beans for over a week ... tell us more about yours. 

Where are they growing?

Have you grown them 
    successfully before?

Our veg patch is very dry ... I’ve been putting the sprinkler on the beans for half an hour a couple of times a week ... bean plants need a fair bit of water to make beans. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MeltemiMeltemi Posts: 6
    I’ve grown them for 28 years  in Peterborough in very deep beds well watered.February pot sown Aquadulce Claudia (Marshall’s seeds...beginning to doubt them) double row planted 10 cm apart and 10 cm between two rows...as always.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 316
    We planted dwarf beans in the autumn. Good plants with huge number of flowers but only yesterday did I pick some of the pods.
    The weather has played a big part in making things go awol.
    We do water and this year we will have Broad beans for a longer time.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,574
    edited 31 May
    Then I’m puzzled @kendallphil2017 ... 

Two thoughts 

were they flowering when we had those strong winds?  Sometimes the wind can keep the pollinators away, or even blow the blooms off before they’re pollinated. 

or 

we had a few late frosts ... our back garden was ok but the front is in a frost-pocket and a few things got nipped. Could yours have been caught by a frost?  Mind you my in-laws are in the Deepings area and they didn’t get the frost that we did. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MeltemiMeltemi Posts: 6
    That’s probably the answer...wind and frost...thanks