Forum home Problem solving

Brown Conifer - Is it to late to revive?

We bought our house a year ago and have this conifer that provides privacy from a new build development so are desperate to keep it. 

Can anyone tell me if there is anyway to revive this conifer that has turned brown please? The trunk was covered in ivy which we have pulled off and was also about a meter deep in old brown needles from the tree. We also found a lot of broken pots and large rocks around the base so don’t know if the previous owner who was a keen gardener did this to help with drainage? We are complete amateurs so would appreciate any advice. From using google I didn’t know if using a confided fertiliser would help? Thank you

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    No - if it's that brown, it's dead. A pic would help to confirm it's condition though  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• One side is very brown but the other side is still green.

• Sorry this picture has posted turned the wrong way but just trying to show from the main truck it splits it’s off into 2  with the right part being the section of tree that’s gone brown
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    It’s dead, I would get a tree surgeon in to fell it unless you’re experienced.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    I agree and it's very ugly to boot. Have it professionally removed and the stump removed, improve the soil a lot and then plant something much prettier.