Forum home The potting shed

Rocket

DaffydillyDaffydilly North LancashirePosts: 78
Did anyone see the rocket overhead?  The wait in front garden was worth it. Took me back to 1957 when I saw the first sputnik overhead in London (As a child of course).  I love aircraft and space.  It was reflecting bright silver from the sun and had a long white `tail'.
Back out there later to hopefully see it`s final lap at our end of the country.  Hope they return safely.  
Here, there and everywhere

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,142
    I missed it!
    I dutifully go out and try to see,meteor showers,satellites etc but I always miss them!!
    The whole SpaceX program just shows humans at their very best.  :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DaffydillyDaffydilly North LancashirePosts: 78
    Totally agree about the SpaceX program.  I would have loved to go into space....I was born too soon :p.  I`ve seen so many and it still seems unique every time.  I saw Concorde`s 1st flight, my cousin was on flight deck and the last flight of the vulcan bomber.  Sad demise of two of the best aircraft. 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,142
    edited 30 May
    I am amazed at the small size of the Dragon rocket compared to the Saturn,and to have it return to earth is just mind boggling.There are some very clever people out there.

I also saw one of the last flights of the Vulcan at Fairford in 2015 flying with the Red Arrows.
    Still gives me goosebumps!
    I was born in 1958 and I saw the first 'flight' of the Hovercraft from my pushchair in 1959,although I don't actually remember it!
    What I do remember is being woken up to watch the moon landing in 1969.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    i have a very special goosebump moment....a once in a lifetime that I still can hardly believe...
    We lived in Cape Town and were on the slopes of Table Mountain....used to climb it with no problem then!  We had gone to see the QE 2 in the harbour when concorde flew over her and did a victory roll..... we were above them both, we then heard this boom and the red arrows flew right over our heads towards the harbour.  I had seen all of these before but not all at once.   Surrounded by mostly non Brits it made us positively swell with pride.   Only regret is I did`nt have camera with me as it had been stolen the day before
    Love the pic :)  We had a long chat with a red arrow pilot at Southend air show one year.  They lead a tough life but feel it is an honour to be chosen  At that time they only flew for about four years and were then replaced.  Don`t know what the rules are now though.