Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple tree care

New-gardener2018New-gardener2018 Posts: 20
edited May 2020 in Fruit & veg
Hi
i have a young apple tree in my garden. What do I do with it. It seems to be growing all to one side. The previous owner has tied it to fence with a piece of string. Am I supposed to prune it and when. Any advice at all would be gladly accepted

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited May 2020
    It’s difficult to know why it’s lopsided. 

Is there a wall on the right, blocking the light?
    h
    Does the sun come from the left for most of the day?

That bird box is in the way. Move it away from the tree.

The shape can be improved, but you will have to do it gradually.

Here’s your tree.

It’s hard to tell from the photo, but this year I would prune back the branches to the points marked with yellow, to an upward facing bud/branch.

You could do it now, or later in the summer, but now would give the tree the chance to begin to correct its downward growth.

Next year, you could trim back the two branches marked with red. They are weaker, so won’t have as much influence on its shape. Again, cut back to an upward pointing bud or branch.

As to making it grow more on the right hand side, the answer lies in why it isn’t already. As I say, too much shade on that side may be the answer.

The string is horrible.

If you can get your hands on a pair of old tights (owner not still wearing them), they make a nice soft tree tie.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks very much @pansyface will do that. The whole area had about 5 ferns in it which we have taken out. It was very overgrown with One tree growing at 45 degree angle to get light  We discovered the Apple free after removing the ferns so maybe it will sprout branches to the right.