Forum home Plants

Perennials/summer bulbs that flower ‘in the round’?

NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
edited May 2020 in Plants
Or at least have attractive backs! 

I have created a kind of island bed and the main seating area is on the north. Its mainly for roses and perennials, but not adverse to some summer bulbs. Anything daisy-like (and geraniums, I am discovering) are all facing south, Perhaps being more phototropic than most.

I’m looking for burgundy/purple/white. So far Salvia Caradonna (I had a fair bit spare from splitting plants) are fine, gaura too, as at least it looks attractive from the back.

Anything else might do the trick?

Edited to say - needs to be tolerant of high heat levels, actual drought tolerance less of an issue as I will be watering the roses lots anyway. The soil is alkaline clay with loads of compost, manure and grit added.
Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Eucomis Sparkling Burgundy has stunning leaves, and flowers too.  Not sure if it will survive in your climate, but ours thrive when it is hot and baking, and don't need too much watering. From the minutes the first new shoots appear, it looks great, plus develops new bulbs each year, so you can divide it and get more plants.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,511
    Thanks @KeenOnGreen, that’s an interesting one I have never considered before. I think it would do OK in my climate, but I am not sure the kind of tropical look would go... However got my brain working, so I guess anything with a flower spike, so you have got me thinking verbascum, veronica, sanguisorba etc.

I know geums do the ‘in the round’ thing but the only ones thar would survive are the Chiloense types and they tend to be more reds and yellows.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.