Forum home Plants

Daffodil Help

Mr BBMr BB Posts: 21
Hi all,

I hope everyone is enjoying this incredible weather and managing to keep everything watered.

I am planning my autumn bulb campaign and wondered if anyone could recommend a varierty of daffodil to meet my needs. I'm looking for:

- A classic daffodil with good height and decent flower size
- Reliable both in terms of flowering but also coming back year after year
- All yellow

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Happy gardening
Mr BB

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,536
    I'm puzzled by your questions.
    Any bulb merchant or Garden Centre will supply the type of daffodil you want.
    Any daffodils I plant here are perennial, flower and multiply year on year.
    Where are you  and how are you planting or treating your bulbs if yours don't?
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 955
    We have two old varieties Biggar Bountiful and Magnificence, the latter has a lovely honey scent. Both are what I would call traditional daffs and are around 18” tall. 
    As far as I know all daffodils reliably flower year after year as long as you allow their foliage to die down naturally. Thankfully they are not as temperamental as tulips.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,782
    One of the nicest [IMO] is Bridal Crown, but it's cream. However, another excellent variety, which is quite similar, is Cheerfulness, and there's a yellow version of that. 
    There are countless varieties of narcissus though, which means it can be quite easy to find a suitable one. 

However, I would agree with @Buttercupdays - the vast majority of daffs and narcissus do well in most parts of the UK, so there may be a problem with the growing methods. Some don't perform well in very wet, heavy ground for instance.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,573
    It sounds like you want the good old fashioned King Alfred. Readily available from most bulb merchants.  If you buy a mixed sack, these are often what they bulk it up with, with a few of the rarer varieties added to give a mix.  Parkers  are doing a bag of 60 for about £12.
  • sam bevingtonsam bevington Posts: 130
    Advice please? I've just emptied my spring containers of daffodils (tete a tete), what's the best way to store them until the Autumn? They're currently in a bucket!
    edited May 2020
    That’s where mine usually stay to be honest and I’ve not had any problems. Probably best to make sure it’s not left in full sun and is somewhere dry
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • sam bevingtonsam bevington Posts: 130
    With compost or without?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,782
    Keep them covered @sam bevington and tuck the pot somewhere quiet, as @Butterfly66 describes. Just give them a liquid feed or two - that helps bulk them up as well.  :)   
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    I’ve done both, some without compost and some I’ve just left in the compost they grew in. As @Fairygirl says when finished flowering give them a couple of feeds whilst the leaves die down - if I need the pot I just transfer them compost and all to an old plastic one or a bucket. Then when died down you leave them in the compost or you can tip them out reclaim the compost and put them into a bucket.