Forum home Problem solving

Help Lavender gurus needed - or a very good lawyer

I received these 6 lavender plants last week and planted a day or so after delivery using a multipurpose westland jon ins compost and all 5 are dying rapidly. The 3 in the planter are munsted and the 2 in the front hidcote. 

They all had a good water on planting and then a sprinkle a few days after but haven't watered again to avoid over watering.

I have had a feel down by the loosened soil and it doesn't feel overly moist.

I made sure i left plenty of room between plants as well so not sure what else I can do.

Is there anything I can do to save them? 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,572
    Did you soak the plants in their pots before planting them out?  It's possible the soil round them is moist, but the compost their roots are in, is dry.  I suggest you dig one up and see...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Hi no I didn’t soak them in the pots. What should I do if they are dry?
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    Soak them.......
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    As @Mary370 says - they need well watered, until established. They're quite big plants too, so even more important. 
    Although they can cope with less water once established, all plants need watering regularly until then, regardless of their preferences  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks all pretty confusing for the novice as good old google suggested I had overwatered them so didn’t want to make it worse.

Gave them a good water in the early hours and they have already started a come back thank you :smile:
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    Just keep an eye on them - they should start to recover in the next month or so once they get their feet settled. They have a lot of top growth to support which makes it harder. 
    In this hot weather, it's definitely better to water at night or very early -as you've discovered. A good drink, so that it gets right down into the ground, then leave for a few days, and repeat. The plants will then get their roots right down, and will access moisture themselves over time. 
    I appreciate it can be very difficult when these plants are described as sun loving and drought resistant etc. I'd have made the same mistake when I first started gardening, so don't worry. This forum wasn't around then unfortunately!  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....