Forum home Plants

Sucker from a tree or shrub? Long shot ID!

24” long “stick” received from sister in law who in turn got it from a friend. She gave one to me and has been advised that it Has a white berry!?

I Took it with thanks and am thinking about planting it. Always a little resistant to planting something I’m unsure of what it is! 😬

a long shot given the info, but any wild stabs in the dark? Struggling with this one on google!

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,466
    Snowberry, symphoricarpus. It's a bit thuggy so be careful where you plant it.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,956
    It spreads and spreads ... it’s planted for pheasant cover in woodland on game shoots. 
    Not really a garden plant IMHO. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,466
    There's some in this garden, mixed in with the privet hedge (it was here before me) . I pull up bits of it that pop up where they're not wanted. I would imagine it's worse on good soil.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thank you both @JennyJ @Dovefromabove for your advice. I think I have managed to avoid a mistake! It certainly doesn’t sound like anything this garden needs. Although there is one spot where NOTHING will grow. I could try it there and if it dies it will save me from composting it!