Forum home Plants

Can anyone help identify this plant in my new garden?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,854
    Hard to say for sure, maybe beschorneria yuccoides
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    Could it be an Astelia @Hostafan1?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you for both suggestions and so quickly! The astelia is similar, but leaves on that come from the base. I think the Beschorneria is perhaps more likely as the leaves grow from the top, producing a stem as with a yucca. Wait to see if I get ant flowers!  Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,648
    It does look like Beschorheria but a very young plant. Ours has been with us for many years and had to be replanted in 2010 after the very very cold winter and it then revitalised.
    Here are the flowers which are in flower now.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    I did wonder about that @denise.hinson- we can't grow them here anyway, as they aren't hardy, but I wasn't sure whereabouts you were either  :)
    Never heard of that @tuikowhai34, but again - it wouldn't be hardy where I am. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks very much for the photos. The flowers are amazing. We are in the South (Surrey) so more things will grow here that are tender, than in Scotland.  I think the plant has been here some time as it has spread quite a bit. It is very ornamental, with silvery blue leaves. This is part of the fun of moving house and finding all sorts in the garden!