Forum home Fruit & veg

beetroot

I can't remember ever having mature beetroot so early in the year.  I cooked these yesterday and didn't they taste good! The first of many.

• KiliKili Posts: 715
    Nice size and clean beets there Guernsey Donkey  :)

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
    Thanks @Kili, they had been given a wash before I took them inside to cook.  I have sown over 100 this year, and hope to harvest them all over the next few weeks. 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,260
    Very nice, mine have gotten their first true leaves.. still a while to wait here!
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 912
    When did you sow those? 
     @newbie77 they were sown in February/March in an unheated greenhouse in module trays.  One or two seeds per module, easy to germinate and easy to plant out in April.  We have been very fortunate with the weather although they have been watered every second or third day.
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 912
    Thank you. I sowed everything too late.  

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 767
    Nice beetroot. I usually direct sow mine but decided to get a head start this year, so did some Boltardy in modules like you. Typically they've all fallen over and stretched a little, slightly weak stems etc (which is why I usually don't do it)

@Guernsey Donkey2 did you have this problem? Does the beet still grow ok if you plant them out a bit deeper so the stem is under the compost level? Or should I just toss them and direct sow more?
    I think  you can plant them out a little deeper - you have nothing to lose by doing that and direct sow more if you have spare seeds.  I have planted a mix of Bolthardy and a couple of others whose names I can't remember right now. I know Monty sowed a second crop in July last year, and although I wouldn't leave it that late to sow seed, if he can manage to get a crop from such a late sowing then I wouldn't worry that it is too late, it is still May after all.
    I think  you can plant them out a little deeper - you have nothing to lose by doing that and direct sow more if you have spare seeds.  I have planted a mix of Bolthardy and a couple of others whose names I can't remember right now. I know Monty sowed a second crop in July last year, and although I wouldn't leave it that late to sow seed, if he can manage to get a crop from such a late sowing then I wouldn't worry that it is too late, it is still May after all.
    Thanks I'll give it a try, I didn't want to lose the modules ideally. I have some Bolthardy and some old Perfect 3, I may try direct sowing again too. I didn't realize Monty got a successful crop from a July sowing. Both packets do say you can sow until July, but I was dubious - I think I tried it previously after I cleared a pea bed, and didn't really get anything more than half a golfball size...
    Thanks I'll give it a try, I didn't want to lose the modules ideally. I have some Bolthardy and some old Perfect 3, I may try direct sowing again too. I didn't realize Monty got a successful crop from a July sowing. Both packets do say you can sow until July, but I was dubious - I think I tried it previously after I cleared a pea bed, and didn't really get anything more than half a golfball size...