Forum home Plants

Sedums in a container

gardenman91gardenman91 Posts: 429
Good morning, another question by me! Tell me if I ask too many questions. So I’m looking to plant 2 sedum munstead red in this container. Will they do well here or just become rootbound? 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    I think it's fine grown there. I would not worry about root-bound, you could always take them out and chop them up to make them smaller in early spring next year so they can be refreshed. I grow mine in containers. They don't need much space for their roots. Being fleshy, most of their water is stored in the leaves and stalks. Just pot them in a loam-based compost with added grit, they should be fine. No need to feed them either.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,429
    They won't grow as large or flower quite as well in a container as they would in a border or alpine bed but they'll be perfectly happy in there for several years. They'll be less prone to flopping over too but you will have to watch out for vine weevil grubs. A good top-dress of grit should help put them off but I haven't found much keeps them out with mine.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.