Forum home Plants

Bushy plant for sunny spot - drought tolerant

sarahajenkins50sarahajenkins50 Posts: 7
edited May 2020 in Plants
hello lovely readers. I am after a plant for a Hanging basket in particular spot. The basket will be above a porch so I don’t want it to get too long but any plant which grows up and out / flops down would be lovely. It will be in full sun, quite a large pot. I would like it to be quite bushy to create some shade at the front door which can get very hot to the touch. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you! 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,762
    I think that might be tricky @sarahajenkins50. Anything big enough to give adequate shade, is probably not going to do well in a basket.
    Not something I grow though - so hopefully someone will have a few suggestions for you - perhaps some of the daisies, or even nasturtiums, which like drier, poorer conditions, and they're are trailing varieties too, which would 'flop' nicely for you .  :)

Have you got a photo of the area, as that might help with other ideas and suggestions too ?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Ivy leaves trailing geraniums might suit but you asked for drought tolerant, does this mean you think you can get away without watering frequently?
    Hanging baskets in full sun will need watering up to twice a day. You can add water retaining gel to help and putting on a load of ice cubes everyday will water the basket slowly.
    You will also need to feed weekly.

• Thank you both. I was thinking of something drought tolerant simply because even with the best of intentions with watering I know how easily baskets can dry out. I do have an outdoor hanging pot with no drainage which I have been thinking about using instead to avoid drying out but of course I run the opposite risk of over watering. I could put some gravel in the bottom to help but it’s always a risk!