Forum home Plants

Pig-tail tomato stems

spaulstotzspaulstotz Posts: 4

A week ago I replanted my seed grown tomatoes into some large pots on my balcony. This was the first time they were given tomato fertilizer. Over the last three days the top two or three stems on a number of my plants are curling into themselves (the stems not leaves). The bottom leaves are fine and the soil is moist. I’m worried that I’ve done something wrong. It doesn’t look like curly top virus because it doesn’t seem to be impacting the leaves in the same way as the pictures online. A few forums mention that this can happen when tomato plants are experiencing stress. In Toronto, we have had a heat wave for the past few days. I’m wondering if the replanting, fertilizer and heat can be causing this. Any help is greatly appreciate. Sam

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    That looks perfectly normal
    to me .., mine do it in hot weather too. 

Best advice is not to feed until first truss of fruit has set.  The compost should have all the nutrition they need until then. 

Hope that helps 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Hi Sam
    I suspect they are just growing very quickly.
    Best not to feed them at all until the first tiny fruits start to form, then use a tomato feed.
    The heat, long sunny days and fertilizer are the likely cause.
    I have mine in a greenhouse border and we're also getting high temps and have had weeks of cloudless days and mine look similar, but they sort themselves out over the course of a few days.
    I'd keep the compost on the dry side of moist and give the ferts a miss until the 1st fruits, set and see how they go.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Ever get that sense of deja vu Dove?

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • spaulstotzspaulstotz Posts: 4
    @Dovefromabove and @Pete.8

thank you so much.  I feel so much better knowing I’m not alone.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    Pete.8 said:
    Ever get that sense of deja vu Dove?
    😂 👍 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.