Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plant identification

Hi all.
My wife and I were having our usual lock down walk and came across some lovely plants on the edge of several borders.
Can any body help us with their identification please.
Many thanks 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,583
    Valerian - the fluffy seeds travel and it pops up all over the place round here
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • danlloyd17danlloyd17 Posts: 14
    Thank you so much. The wife is Happy that they are good for bees and butterflies so it looks like we will be adding these to our garden.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,583
    They are lovely there is a white variety too and I see some quite dark reds in some gardens.
    Once they seed you'll get them popping up here and there and in most surrounding gardens :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Centranthus rubra - commonly called Valerian, can be red, pink or white.

Real Valerian looks like this

They both smell unpleasant though. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,541
    I've heard they smell unpleasant. I have all three colours and they don't smell of anything to me😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PenylanSuePenylanSue Posts: 22
    Wild native valerian smells divine. This is Centranthus rubra as someone posted.

• PenylanSuePenylanSue Posts: 22
    The white flowered plant in the previous picture is actually the wild native valerian officinalis but I think someone already said this.

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    edited June 2020
    Real Valerian is called Valeriana officinalis and has a bit of an unpleasant smell.

Centranthus is actually not valerian, not sure how it got called that. It grew wild all over where I grew up, very pretty too.  It didn't smell bad until it began to die down at the end of the summer/autumn.

Edit - sorry, repeated myself there.