Forum home Plants

Hydrangea petiolaris leaves turning brown

Can anyone tell me what's happening with the leaves on my established hydrangea petiolaris? West facing, sandy soil. The leaves were nipped by frost last week- some tips brown and crispy, but now more 'outer ' leaves are starting to turn yellow brown, and flower buds thereon also looking brown. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    It's just weather damage. Loads of plants have been nipped by frosts recently, as many areas don't often get them at this time of year, and plants are full of new growth. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanyou Fairygirl- we had strong cold winds last weekend too, and now blazing sun! I have another in a shady sheltered spot which looks very happy!
    Pansyface, thankyou for the encouragement- I hope your's rallies- hopefully it's not down to lack of nutrients so it should do.  I have a hydrangea serrata which also looks dreadful- I think that one is frost, wind, dry soil, no flowers this year 🙁 But the leaves further down are now rallying so I'll prune it back in readiness for next year! Onwards and upwards!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,860
    It's been a difficult start for lots of plants and shrubs this year. They'll get over it - most of them  ;)
    Hopefully - yours will too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    edited May 2020
    I agree ... weather damage. 

As its roots appear to be in a fairly restricted spot I’d give it a few gallons of water every week just to make sure it doesn’t get stressed by having to replace the damaged leaves. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you Dove from Above- I'm putting a watering can full on a couple of times a week, it's not looking any worse so does seem to have been weather rather than. Deficiency. It's always a bit nerve wracking with a favourite/ well established shrub isn't it!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904
    It is 😊.

Im not saying lack of water has caused the problem, but if it loses those leaves and has to grow more it’ll be making demands for water in summer, not spring as usual ... and after a very dry spring at that. So it may need a bit extra. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.