Forum home The potting shed

Favorite time of day in the garden?

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
Do you have a favorite time of day to just sit and enjoy your garden?

Ive discovered that mine is about 7pm. A tiny sliver of evening sunshine peeks around my terrace wall and illuminates the top leaves of my acer. So much less harsh than the morning light and just gives that golden tinged edge to the plants in that area. A pure joy to just sit and profit from a few moments of calm and peaceful relaxation.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,434
    My favourite time in the garden is when my OH brings me a cup of tea and a kiss.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,446
    About five am.

Absolute silence, apart from the birds.

Bliss.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 508
    Oh tea that can make great perfect at any time! Sorry pansyface don’t think I could ever make that rdv.... I need at least another 2 hours to stir and another after that before I’m sufficiently awake to move outside!
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,063
    Like what you've got going on with the reflections.  I'm with @pansyface although I need more sleep, so about 7am.  The light and shadows are wonderful, and it was accompanied this morning by a very loud song thrush.  

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 623
    When I first get home from work, anywhere between 5 and 8pm, and the first thing I do is get a drink and go and sit on my bench looking out at the garden, watching the birds coming to the feeders and enjoying the fresh air for a while before I do anything else!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I was up at 4.50 on Monday morning and it was very misty . I was out watering about an hour later and the mist was just lifting and sun just starting to make an impression. I thought about going to fetch a camera but decided to just enjoy the fleeting perfection of the light.
    Devon.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 266
    I have never thought about having a favourite time in my garden. I just enjoy it.  I think if I had to pick a time it would be from mid afternoon upto just before tea time as it's the time I dont get disturbed by having to go in and sort out hungry people 🤣🤣
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,624
    It has to be the golden hour, sitting on the bench bathed in the setting sunlight with the sound of the tree foliage in the breeze. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 190
    Like what you've got going on with the reflections.  I'm with @pansyface although I need more sleep, so about 7am.  The light and shadows are wonderful, and it was accompanied this morning by a very loud song thrush.  

What's your hedge against the top fence? 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,843
    About 7.00 pm. Sitting on the terrace with a glass of white wine, a handful of grissini and looking across the valley to the sheep in the fields opposite. The blackbirds are always singing in the holly tree behind us and the cats are usually sprawled out on the warm flagstones. Yesterday’s conversation - again - was how to revamp the untidy kitchen garden. I discussed the ideas with the gardener just now.

I certainly like the idea of the early morning light but it is a hypothetical enjoyment as I am never up early enough to witness it. I do however look at it on the CCTV and was pleased to see a deer wandering round the garden at 5.00 am yesterday with a woodpecker on the bird feeder soon afterwards.