Forum home Fruit & veg

Advice Please: Growing Carrots Using Insect-proof Mesh

FiddlingOnFiddlingOn HertfordshirePosts: 66
I'm hoping a seasoned carrot grower might help advise me, please. I've bought my carrot seeds (Chantenay) and sieved and raked over my veg patch (approx. 7-8' in length). The ground is stony but I've removed most of the big ones to a depth of about 6". It's also sandy in texture so I believe should be good for growing carrots in. However, I've been reading about this carrot root fly so invested in some insect-proof mesh. The only thing is, I don't know quite how to use it. At what stage do I erect this barrier? Before the seeds even germinate? Do I rig it up over the carrots or upright around them? As you can see I've some sweet peas growing behind so I'm thinking over rather than round would be more practical so I can still reach the sweet peas to pick them (if they ever get to that stage :D )  

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    You just need some hoops over the area and then drape the enviromesh stuff over it.  You can buy them ready-made which you just push into the ground or make some yourself - blue MDPE water pipe is cheap and works well:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FiddlingOnFiddlingOn HertfordshirePosts: 66
    Thanks for the reply Bob and link. Should I create this barrier as soon as there is some greenery appearing? I'm wondering how long it takes before this fly clocks onto some potential food.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,438
    the earlier the better for insect netting so straight after you sow is the best time. It won't do any harm being on earlier than you need, but if you put it on to late all you do is trap the pest in with it's food!
  • FiddlingOnFiddlingOn HertfordshirePosts: 66
    Great, thank you. I'll follow that advice Skandi.