Forum home The potting shed

Small garden ideas wanted

Hi all 

I'm looking to redesign the garden in my terraced house.

Currently it is covered in (cheap) astroturf from the previous owners which I cannot stand. 

I would like some space for seating when the weather is nice as it's a south facing garden, and be able to grow a few plants or some herbs. Currently I have a load of herbs in pots along the fence on the left. 

The raised bed at the back right I will keeping but will probably change the plants and gravel that are currently in there. 

As I'm so limited on space, I don't have anywhere for a lawnmower so I'm hesitant to put grass down. I was thinking along the lines of maybe paving, or gravel, depending on what is cheapest and easiest to maintain. 

This is my first time and I'm struggling for ideas

Thanks in advance

• rootsmanrootsman Posts: 7
    I now realise this is not posted in the garden design section like I thought....
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,965
    Nobody takes much notice of the sections. Most of us just look at recent discussions, so you're ok😊
    I think you're right not to bother with grass. You have to be careful with the surface you put down unless you want to design a massive cat litter tray.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I agree - initially I was set on gravel however there are a lot of cats round here and I understand they are rather partial to it 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,049
    I see you have quite a difference in height between the "lawn" and the lower level !
    I would start by taking up the astroturf and finding out what exactly is underneath it. You could maybe have a pergola for a bit of shade (speaking as someone with a South facing garden, lovely as they are, on a warm day it's nice to have some shade, and you could grow plants over it ).
    Are you thinking of raised beds for all your planting ?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,973
    Cats don't seem to like slate chippings in my experience. I like the purple or plum slate colour as it goes with most plants.
  • WildFlower85WildFlower85 Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 115
    Perhaps introduce some ornamental grasses to bring some grassy greenery into the design. Some like it very dry so growing them in pots would work well.

I agree, you need to find out what lies beneath the raised area as it may not be supportive enough for a lot of heavy gravel?

Another idea to make the most of the space would be to incorporate edibles into your planting instead to keeping herbs seperate. 

And finally defo get shade! I have a south facing garden and it's too hot during the day! 
    @AnniD @WildFlower85

Underneath the astroturf is just soil, as far as I can tell. I haven't taken up the whole thing but I've had a few peeks underneath. Looks like the previous owners just rolled it on top of the existing soil. 

I wasn't planning to add any more raised beds other than the existing stone one, but I'm not against the idea 

I suppose what I'm struggling with the most is how to lay it all out to get the best use of the space
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,049
    I think what l would do is lift the astroturf and survey your blank canvas. Decide where the best place is for your seating area, and mark that out. Do you have a rotary washing line to take into account?  If so, not too far from the house for those emergency dashes in a downpour. Are you going to keep the log roll edging or replace it with something more substantial,  and maybe make the step more of a feature with a handrail or two.
    You could also construct or buy a bin store to hide the wheelie bins, and incorporate a green roof.
    If you are even reasonably good at drawing, sketch out a plan or three to scale (or there's almost certainly an app), post them here and you'll get feedback. 

• berginjim5berginjim5 Posts: 46
    Hi all 

I'm looking to redesign the garden in my terraced house.

Currently it is covered in (cheap) astroturf from the previous owners which I cannot stand. 

I would like some space for seating when the weather is nice as it's a south facing garden, and be able to grow a few plants or some herbs. Currently I have a load of herbs in pots along the fence on the left. 

The raised bed at the back right I will keeping but will probably change the plants and gravel that are currently in there. 

As I'm so limited on space, I don't have anywhere for a lawnmower so I'm hesitant to put grass down. I was thinking along the lines of maybe paving, or gravel, depending on what is cheapest and easiest to maintain. 

This is my first time and I'm struggling for ideas

Thanks in advance

TALL IS GOOD