Forum home The potting shed

Aphid Control

Hello, I have an infestation of aphids, especially on my parsley, thyme, sage, mint and peas. What is the best non pesticidal way to control them. Unfortunately I haven't found any ladybirds that want to live in my garden. Are there other options that are safe for the plants and pollinators? Does washing up liquid really work? 

• nick615nick615 Posts: 478
    Boil rhubarb leaves.  Strain off liquid.  Allow to cool and spray on the aphids using a normal household spray gun.
  • nick615 said:
    Boil rhubarb leaves.  Strain off liquid.  Allow to cool and spray on the aphids using a normal household spray gun.
    Great tip thanks Nick, unfortunately I don't have access to any Rhubarb plants. Are there any other options?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Just spray with water [not when the sun's on them] or wipe off with your hand.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nick615nick615 Posts: 478
    Some recommend spraying with a washing up liquid mixture in water.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,641
    i wouldn’t use rhubarb leaf mixture on any herbs you are going to eat!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nicktennickten Posts: 105
    Blast off with a hose on jet setting works for sturdier plants or for green thumb credibility you can squeeze them off.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 623
    Is there a way to encourage the ladybirds?  I've had loads of aphids on my rosebuds, I'm blasting them off with water at the moment but that's running my intentions to water at the bases to avoid blackspot!  

If its not one thing its another!  :D
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 218

I seem to have a plague of aphids and/or aphid-like things. Little black ones all over my philadelphus and dwarf cherry trees which have now spread to my cornflowers. It's a matter of time before they find my broad beans, I suppose. They are on my artichokes too. I have little black flies and green flies all over the place and green aphids on plants both in and out. Was dismayed to find them on Hungarian poppy seedlings in my sitting room today, also on peppers and aubergines. Leaves are curling up and plants will be dying (one Hungarian blue has already had it.) I bought ladybird larvae - complete waste of money. Am currently trying a homemade neem oil and castile soap spray. Has anyone had any luck with this? Is it ok for pollinators/ladybirds?

This is the philadelphus. The cherry trees are as bad. (I blasted them off the cherry trees with water to the best of my ability today, but this won't kill them?)

• Neem oil works quite well I find, though its not an instant kill.
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 491
    I love squishing them between my fingers - they pop like juicy version of bubble wrap.. the problem with blowing them off is that they can end up on leaves on the lower part of the plant and they will just carry on munching away anyway.. I think it’s best to kill them either with pesticide or with your fingers. It’s strangely satisfying..