Forum home The potting shed

Identifying fruits

Hello! 
We are trying to identify berries on our allotment. Initially, we thought there was a gooseberry bush in with the raspberries, however the berries have started to turn red. We have been told they could be poisonous. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• claudie_hpclaudie_hp Posts: 4
    Sorry, I think I should have posted this in the problem solving section. I will post there.
  • GlenjjonesGlenjjones Posts: 97
    Looks like a currant bush judging by the leaf shape, but I’m no expert.  :smiley:
    Thanks!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,435
    Possibly redcurrants. There are also red gooseberry varieties but neither are poisonous.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,122
    edited 27 May
    Redcurrants hang in pretty bunches like dangly bead earrings. Black currant bunches are shorter and rounder.  I think your first pic is red and the second, with the little green berries, is a black currant.
    Gooseberries have smaller, darker, shinier leaves and some thorns. The fruits tend to hide under the leaves and you can usually see faint lines on them, that go from top to bottom of the berry.
    Thank you. I think you’re right that one is red currant and the other black currant