Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting out tomatoes

amberspyamberspy Posts: 379
When is best time to plant out tomatoes 🍅 
ive been Harding them off for about a week now 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,231
    Anytime now should be ok, but in this very hot spell they will need lots of watering . Just make sure you plant them up to the first set of leaves, this will encourage new root formation and a stronger plant. 
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 807
    (Amazing how these things re-root and throw out roots.  I had one that fell over last year, and decided to start throwing out roots, so I let it re root in another pot.  Weird horizontal main stem throwing off loads of growth upwards.  Considering training horizontally along the fence this year.  Do say if that's a bad idea!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,231
    No idea @Wayside it's not something I have tried 😀 Layed on its side, the side shoots would take over becoming several main stems. Kind of bush like. Most of us train up because of lack of room, and certain varieties would work, but something like Roma wouldn't as it is a shorter stockier variety of tomato. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    @amberspy - not many people up here grow toms outdoors. Certainly not on this side of the country. You need consistently high enough night time temps  :)
    Could probably have got away with it last summer, and the one before, but I never take the risk.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amberspyamberspy Posts: 379
    @Fairygirl
    was it hot last year I can’t remember 😂😂we went away for nearly four weeks though so might have missed that 
    I’ve only four plants I give a go as can’t keep inside 
    a bonus if they take if not least I tried 😂

• WaysideWayside Posts: 807
    We had a shoddy end August on the south coast UK in 2019, went away and got rain.  Three weeks of sun reportedly back home, then returned to rain.  Veg had a stall in August and never really picked up enough.  On the flipside this year the weather since the beginning of the lockdown (23rd March) has been super, not much rain though.