Forum home Problem solving

Planting Irish Moss

Hi there,

I’m on a mission to grow a irish moss sagina lawn. I have got some seeds from ebay and have placed them a week ago. So far nothing has happened. I’m not sure if the seeds are ok or if it takes longer to see something?

I have tried to buy seeds from more official sources but I couldn’t find any online. Can anyone recommend how I can buy irish moss seeds or patches?

Thank you!
René

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    I think you'll soon discover that you can't have a lawn that you can't walk on freely. Here's quite a bit of info: https://wimastergardener.org/article/irish-and-scotch-moss-sagina-subulata-and-arenaria-verna/

The seeds will hopefully germinate in the next couple of weeks...but better to think of the "moss" as a decoration to the side of a path or pot, not a lawn.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • rene.srene.s Posts: 3
    Hi, Thank you for the link.

Is to grow real moss more resilient to foot trafic? The spot where I try to grow the lawn is quite shady. 

If so can someone share tips how to grow it and how to source it online? 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,569
    Unfortunately, real moss isn't hard wearing either.  Those lovely moss gardens made by the Japanese aren't designed to be walked on... you might do better to give up on a lawn, and spread decorative bark chips in the area instead.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore