Forum home Problem solving

Planting Irish Moss

Hi there,

I’m on a mission to grow a irish moss sagina lawn. I have got some seeds from ebay and have placed them a week ago. So far nothing has happened. I’m not sure if the seeds are ok or if it takes longer to see something?

I have tried to buy seeds from more official sources but I couldn’t find any online. Can anyone recommend how I can buy irish moss seeds or patches?

Thank you!
René

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge Posts: 2,657
    I think you'll soon discover that you can't have a lawn that you can't walk on freely. Here's quite a bit of info: https://wimastergardener.org/article/irish-and-scotch-moss-sagina-subulata-and-arenaria-verna/

The seeds will hopefully germinate in the next couple of weeks...but better to think of the "moss" as a decoration to the side of a path or pot, not a lawn.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • rene.srene.s Posts: 3
    Hi, Thank you for the link.

Is to grow real moss more resilient to foot trafic? The spot where I try to grow the lawn is quite shady. 

If so can someone share tips how to grow it and how to source it online? 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,298
    Unfortunately, real moss isn't hard wearing either.  Those lovely moss gardens made by the Japanese aren't designed to be walked on... you might do better to give up on a lawn, and spread decorative bark chips in the area instead.
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.