Forum home Plants

Clematis Sugar Sweet Group

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635
Hey guys i brought Clematis Sugar Sweet last year and its doing great, pictures below. On the tag that came with the plant says its group 3 but that would mean it flowers july to oct but its in flower now so it cant be that can it?.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Quite a lot of people are experiencing Group 3 clems flowering earlier. Hotter weather early on probably  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Voyagerxp did you figure out what group Sugar Sweet is in? I bought exactly the same plant with the same label that says group 3, but everywhere online says group 1...Thanks 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    According to Thorncroft clematis website it's Group 1 so I think it was mislabeled 
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    It’s group 1, tidy after flowering. That’s what it says on Thorncroft clematis website.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 635
    It says  Group 1 clematis flower on wood created the previous year. but my sugar sweet has not got any growth on last years wood. it has new growth coming out the ground.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    My group 1 clematis are just starting to but out on last year's stems. 
    The stems that grow this year will flower next year or if  group 3 later on this year.
    The normal pruning for all clematis is to cut down low in the year of planting then the following year follow the advice for that group. It takes 3 seasons for clematis to get established.
    Feed in spring with rose fertiliser and keep well watered. You can feed with a liquid feed as well in the summer but stop when in flower . Apply a generous mulch in spring
    https://thorncroftclematis.co.uk/how-to-prune-clematis-33-w.asp