Forum home Fruit & veg

Grow bags vs. Pots

Hi, just a quick question!

I’m currently growing veg using my “concrete” garden, once my tomato/chilli plants are ready to go out is there any real pros/cons to using ready to go grow bags over pots of compost, or is there not much difference? I feel as though I’m cheating by using grow bags but that’s probably me being daft.

Any advice? :)

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,187
    I use grow bags because I'm lazy but I think a lot of people on here use pots and say that gives you a bigger crop. I've never had any real problems using them though.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Hi Gardeningjade123 I don't think there is any difference at all, its more how they are looked after.

I use a mix of pots and bags depending how many big pots I have and how many plants need them but I don't buy 'growbags'  I just cut the tops off compost bags and use those. Most of the proprietary 'growbags' work out quite expensive I find.

The only veg that has to go in a pot is the cucumbers but that's just a logistical issue I'm sure they would be fine in bags as well.  Good luck with yours  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,512
    Personally I hate growbags. My FIL made us some open-based pots from galvanised steel which we stand in trays of gravel and that system has worked very for us. Look up 'ring culture' for details. The best method though was to grow them in beds in the greenhouse which gave a good crop and stable water conditions.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • @Singing Gardener Ahh I see that’s a good point I might do half pots half bags and see which turns out best, thanks for the advice :) 
  • @herbaceous Thanks so much for that advice! I’ve still got some time to decide, thanks for the help! :) 
  • @wild edges Ahh that’s interesting I’ll have a look into this, thanks so much! :) 
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,187
    For tomatoes, cucumbers and melons I use grow pots in the grow bags because it makes it easier to support them and to water them. For peppers, chillies and aubergines I just plant directly into the grow bag.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    You are welcome Gardeningjade123 just hope you can get what you need, weird times eh?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • @Singing Gardener That’s a good idea! I might give that a go, thanks! 

@herbaceous Absolutely, nothing like a bit of gardening to take your mind off things though ey :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    If you do use growbags - make sure you shake them thoroughly before use. They tend to be very compacted and solid because of the way they're stored.
    Many people turn them on their side too - better depth for roots. 

I use pots  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....