Forum home Plants

Lidl tubers/bare root

BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
Don't know if anyone else has had this experience but I've found that Lidl tubers or bare root plant often are not the variety stated on the packet.

After 4 years I finally got this peony to flower. Its was stated to be Sarah Bernhardt but as you can see from the picture, it's definitely not. Had the same with a dark red Canna which was a very different non frilly and poor specimen.

I haven't bought any other peonies and I keep records and labels of everything so I know it's the one I bought as Sarah B. 

I'm not too disappointed this time, it's very attractive and bees love it. I suspect its a frilled white. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,315
    I got an utterly vile neon bile dinner plate sized dahlia once. I can't remember what I chose but it wasn't that!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    That's horrible B3, at least mine turned out to be acceptable. I know their stuff is cheap but really it's a lottery it seems. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,315
    I don't buy their bulbs or tubers any more but their plants are usually good value if you can get them before they die of thirst.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Posts: 1,484
    @B3. That's right, they're rarely watered, obviously starting to collapse but they still want full price.

I don't think i will bother again either. Luckily we have a chain of garden/home/pet store whose bulbs etc always come true, ok a bit more expensive but not too much. Going to stick with them in the future.