Forum home The potting shed

Wild herbs and salad plants

tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 575
I had an interesting morning with an older gentleman this morning who picks wild things to replant in his garden, so that he can eat a nice salad all year round.  A bit hot and a bit late to take plants now, but I hope he keeps his promise and we do it again in the Autumn.  It's amazing that you can eat just about everything that is growing on the other side of your fence (in the fields and hedgerows).  

Does anyone else do this?  I remember @Dovefromabove telling me that she no longer eats wild things growing around.  

We have a lot of wild spinach which I gather for the hen, but wouldn't eat it - even well-washed - car fumes and yes Dove, rat's piddle!!
A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 9,346
    Foraging came back into fashion some years ago and there are plenty who still do it.  
    Unfortunately, you can't always tell what chemicals have been used on adjacent fields so unless you know your area well, it could be somewhat iffy. As well as some of the other noxious liquids - whether rat or human !
    Not only that of course but as a species, we have become so far removed from nature that a heck of a lot of people wouldn't know an edible mushroom from a chip ;)
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 575
    @philippa smith2     Then, that's probably why he reproduces the fields in his garden.  Cuttings and young plants.  A safer way.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.