Forum home Fruit & veg

fruit and veg Raspberry canes dying

Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
I dont have any way to post a picture on here.  We have some rasberry canes Glen Moy, 4 years old, this year they appear to be dying, any ideads?  The stems are brown, leaves going brown and crispy, fruit small and green not ripening.  Never had any problems with them before.  They have been watered and treated same as always.

• mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    Always annoying when something goes wrong and if everything has been identical to previous years and without any pictures to go on it will be very hard to find the cause.

I lost a blueberry this year and have no clue why - I am suspecting weed killer drift from my neighbours but just a guess which doesn't help bring my poor plant back in good shape
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,726
    None of my neighbours use weed killers, (their gardens are testament to that haha) There is no sign of any infestation of any kind.  I lost a blueberry in 2018, but supect that was lack of water that year.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 541
    Last year my raspberries were terrible, very few canes and hardly any fruit( they are about 6 years old). This year they are a veritable jungle and there will be loads of fruit. I have 2 varieties and they both behaved the same. I didn't do anything differently so I can't explain it, I always put these strange occurances down to the weather! 
    I just ordered 3 X 3 from T & M, early mid and late, just got e-mail letter saying they are unavailable
  • Last year I had 6 autumn raspberry bushes from the same company, followed instructions exactly every one failed. Complained to t&m 2 weeks ago, no response only an acknowledgement email.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Last year I had 6 autumn raspberry bushes from the same company, followed instructions exactly every one failed. Complained to t&m 2 weeks ago, no response only an acknowledgement email.
    I've a horrible feeling I've had 14 out of 15 fail I put in this spring. All but one shown no sign of new growth at all. They arrived weeks late during the initial lockdown issues. I guess I leave it to the Autumn to see if there is any movement at all.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,504
    A few years ago I bought 3 varieties of Glen x,y,z raspberries. 5 canes of each.
    I planted them in the autumn and was very disappointed that the following spring then summer then autumn to see I only had a couple of pathetic shoots from the whole lot.
    I did write to the company and their response was that it was so unlikely that I had a failure rate of nearly 100% they wouldn't consider a refund and said to wait.
    I considered they may have a point, and they were all planted in fresh topsoil I had delivered not long before and I thought it may be that.

The following spring (so about 16 months after planting) there were raspberry canes shooting up all over the place even well away from where I planted them - they had just been growing a BIG root system before putting up canes.

So before taking any drastic action have a look to see if there are some healthy white roots and if there are then they're still growing
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    These particular ones were brought from Ken Muir, some of them are now fruiting
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,982
    I have bought some a couple of times before with little success. Last autumn I bought some Glen Ample along with my seed order from Mr Fothergill. Planted as soon as they arrived,  earlier this year, watered in well. Then the rain stopped coming.
    Watered a couple of times, with my limited supply, but resigned to losing them again. Then saw buds, then shoots! Managed another drink, carrying water from the pond. They kept growing. 10 out of 12 are still alive and growing, most are even promising a flower or two. Given the heat and the drying winds we have had, and what I know for a fact was insufficient watering, I count that as a runaway success :)
    Even better, we have now had a few days of wonderful rain and the soil is moist and all my waterbutts are full again. Looking forward to my first raspberries :)